Now known as Gunter Hall, this
house is the headquarters of the Historic Preservation Society of Social
Circle, Inc. Once completely renovated, the house will also serve as a
museum and education center. Originally located on Monroe Street (now
North Cherokee Road), the house was moved around 1911 to Clarke Street to
make way for the Presley Stanton Greek Revival House (now known as
MAGNOLIA HALL at 147 North Cherokee Road).
Gunter Hall's second location was
at 187 Clarke Street (formerly Academy Street). To make way for the
parking lot of the First Baptist Church of Social Circle, the house was
relocated from Clarke Street to its present site on West Hightower Trail.
Mr. Eberhardt Nebhut, who
always signed his name E, came to Social Circle in the late 1840's and
bought the entire block south of the Baptist Church and north of the
business block in 1852. In the middle of the lot he built his house, said
by some to be Georgia's finest example of Federal architecture.
was a publisher and three of his volumes, dated 1858, 1859, and 1870, are
now part of a special collection at the city's public library. Mr. Nebhut's fate is not known to present-day citizens of Social Circle. His
house was sold to William Akridge and, before the turn of the century, to
the Gunter family, in whose possession it remained until 1990.
Three of Social Circle's
postmasters lived in the house: William Henry Gunter, Mrs. William Henry
(Martha Barrett) Gunter, and Miss Jessie Gunter, their daughter.
Although deed records
indicate a construction date of 1855, the federal detailing seems possibly
to point to an earlier date for the house. Remodeled in the 1890's, the
house retains the elaborate front porch from this period decorated with
latticework and Moorish arches.
After relocating Gunter
Hall from Clarke Street in 1992, the Historic Preservation Society has
made great progress in the renovation of the interior and exterior of the
house, acquiring funds to do so through grants, membership drives,
auctions, rummage sales, and particularly through the TOURS OF HOMES.