Curious about how to classify the architectural elements of your home or building?
Curious about who has lived in your home or in your town?
We are building a library of helpful information.
Check back often to see what’s been added.
Some of these links will take you to other web sites.
Bookmark us as a favorite to find us again.
Social Circle Design Guidelines – Joshua Riley
(Acrobat Reader required to access this 166-page resource book developed for Social Circle by Joshua Riley, MHP, formatted for the web by Jackie Thomas, PhD)
Welcome to our Place in History – Joshua Riley
Georgia’s Virtual Vault
Digital Treasures from the Georgia Archives
Greek Revival Column Designs
can be smooth or fluted
Important Distinctions for Owners of Historic Properties
- Preservation: Maintain the current state of a building
- Restoration: Reproduce the appearance of a building exactly as it looked at a particular moment in time
- Rehabilitation/Reclamation: Bring back to a preferable manner of living which makes contemporary use possible while still preserving significant character-defining features. Includes adaptive use
- Renovation: Improve the usefulness and condition of a building by repairing, altering, and adding but without necessarily being sensitive to the character-defining features
- Remodeling: Make over the design image of a building. The appearance is changed by removing original details and adding new features that are out of character with the original